In case you haven’t been paying attention, Smackdown matters again, and it’s now live on Tuesday nights! Here’s a quick rundown of everything that went down on the first episode of Smackdown Live!
Live from Buffalo, NY
Announce team: Mauro Ranallo, JBL, and David Otunga
– The new Smackdown set is basically the normal HD Pay Per View set, with no stage and two small video screens in front of the entranceway.
– Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan came out to the ring, which was surrounded by the new Smackdown roster. They officially announced the first Smackdown PPV, Backlash, in Septemeber, and introduced Dean Ambrose, who challenged anyone, anywhere, any time to face him for the WWE Title. Bryan announced a Six Pack Challenge Match for the evening, with the winner facing Ambrose at SummerSlam. John Cena, AJ Styles, Bray Wyatt, Dolph Ziggler, and Baron Corbin were announced as the participants. The sixth spot was left open, to be filled by the winner of a Battle Royal.
– Apollo Crews won a Battle Royal for the final spot in the Six Pack Challenge, last eliminating Kane.
– Becky Lynch defeated Natalya (submission, Disarmer)
– After the match, the rest of the Smackdown Women’s Division came out individually and introduced themselves, including a ridiculously over-the-top intro for Eva Marie. Then the show just…went to commercial.
– Miz TV featured The Miz interviewing himself, before being interrupted by Randy Orton. After some back-and-forth, Orton goaded Maryse into accepting a match on the Miz’ behalf.
– Randy Orton defeated The Miz (pinfall, RKO)
– A video package aired for American Alpha, who will debut next week.
– Heath Slater entered the ring via the crowd and threw an unnamed wrestler out of the ring. Slater talked about not getting drafted to either brand and demanded to be placed in the Six Pack Challenge Match. Shane McMahon came out to confront Slater, and after some talking, Rhyno emerged from underneath the ring and hit Slater with a Gore.
– Dolph Ziggler won the Six Pack Challenge Match to become #1 Contender to the WWE World Championship (Ziggler pinned AJ Styles, Superkick)