The rumors of Conor McGregor stepping away from MMA to face off with Floyd Mayweather in a multimillion dollar boxing match refuse to die. Even the most serious of sports reporters now consider it at least a possibility rather than a mere publicity stunt.
One man who isn’t buying into any of the hype, though, is UFC president Dana White. He has said repeatedly that the fight will never happen, especially as long as McGregor is under contract with the UFC. When a TMZ reporter caught up to White and asked about the chances of a McGregor/Mayweather fight ever happening, the president was again quick to shut down the speculation.
“I don’t know where we’re at,” White said when asked about the progress of McGregor vs. Mayweather. “We’re nowhere. We’re nowhere with it. I expect Conor’s next fight to be in the UFC, in mixed martial arts and the winner of Khabib vs. Ferguson.”
If that’s the case, then the next obvious question for White to answer is: when will McGregor fight again in the octagon? Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson will do battle on March 4 at UFC 209 for the interim lightweight championship. The winner will presumably have to unify that belt with McGregor’s lightweight strap sometime this summer.
McGregor has previously said he plans to not fight until at least May, after his girlfriend gives birth to their first child. So a big lightweight title fight sometime in June would be about perfect timing. Unfortunately, McGregor is unpredictable and you’ll never know when he might decide to hold out for more money, not show up for press conferences, and even breach his contract and fight Floyd Mayweather. We’ll keep watching though, because it’s so damn interesting.