Nintendo has released the first major system update for the Switch since the console’s launch, version 3.0.0, which comes with a host of fixes and improvements to the console and menus.
The biggest additions include the ability to add friends who were previously on your 3DS and Wii U Friends List, receive notifications when friends log on and even an option to make detached Joy-Cons vibrate to help you find them if they’re lost in the depths of your sofa.
This is more of a quality of life update rather than something dramatic, which is probably why Nintendo didn’t bother mentioning it during their E3 showcase last week.
Here’s a full breakdown of the new fixes and features:
- Register a channel to receive News for specific games
- Add friends from your Nintendo 3DS and Wii U Friend Lists
- Receive notifications when your Friends go online
- Find paired controllers within communication range by activating the vibration feature
- Change the user icon order on the Home Menu
- Select from 6 new Splatoon 2 characters for user icon
- Change the system volume from the Quick Settings
- Lower the maximum volume for headphone or speakers connected to the audio jack
- Change display colors to Invert Colors or Grayscale
- Connect a USB keyboard to the dock to type whenever the keyboard is on the screen
- Use the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller via wired communication by connecting the USB charging cable
- Update connected controllers
- Added a feature that suggests deletion of software data if there is insufficient space when downloading other software
- Resolved an issue that caused game software updates to fail and prevented the software from starting
- Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode
Nintendo just recently launched ARMS for the Switch. Keep an eye out for our review in the next day or so.